Friday, November 21, 2008

Salary Results

My informal salary survey had 6 respondents (thank you for responding!)

You can see the actual results on the right hand side of my blog.

Interestingly, 3 of the 6 respondents reported salaries in the $70 - $79,999 category. I know for certain in the NY metropolitan area that salaries are a bit higher than that. One may look at this and say "I can make more money as an R.N." and that would be true. In my experience with my colleagues, NPs don't mainly become NPs for the financial incentives. It is about taking on patient care from a unique perspective - a perspective that synthesizes nursing and medicine, that sets out to be culturally competent, that strives for evidence and that focuses on the whole person.

There are still many out there who do not (nor care to) understand NP practice. I maintain that we are not "physician wannabes" and bring something inherently unique and valuable to patient care.

Thanks again for responding!

4 comments:

Nurse Practitioners Save Lives said...

I think your survey of around 75,000 is about right for office NPs. What do you think the salary of DNPs will be and what do you think of the additional schooling. Worth it or not?

Stephen Ferrara, NP said...

I would hope that DNP education would add about $10k to the annual salary of an FNP. I do think it is worth it (of course, I am a bit biased since I almost have my first semester of the DNP under my belt). I think the DNP will open up additional opportunities for NPs and will foster policy-driven change and enhanced patient outcomes through culturally competent and evidenced-based practice, to name just a few.

I, too was on the fence prior to making the committment. However, I have already added value and enhanced my practice via the DNP. Good luck!

A little bit of everything NP said...

Your findings are fairly consistant with what I've seen other places on the web. I live in Bakersfield California and only have 3 1/2 years experiance as a MSN FNP-C and currently make $91,000.00 with full benis, 401K, and potential for bonus yearly based on AR. Sorry I found your site late. Would have liked to participate in your survey.

Anonymous said...

Diane, FNP from TN, is interested in hearing what the salaries are for hospitalist NPs around the US.