Skip to main content

Guest Post: Nurse Practitioners

I was saddened to see an advertisement in the local paper for a new clinic which will be opening up. I'm very happy about the clinic and the fact that a good friend of mine will be the Nurse Practitioner (NP) there. She starts in a couple of weeks. Until then, another NP friend of mine is filling in. They had a ribbon cutting ceremony and pictures were taken outside the building for the local paper. This photo included staff members from the clinic, including a very professional-looking NP, the clinic manager, a "supervising physician," and some local "important people." All this looks great on the surface to the casual observer. Then I read the article. The only mention of the NP was to say that she is "a good listener." Well so what?? Plants are good listeners. Don't get me wrong, listening is a skill that all medical providers need to master, because most of our work is accomplished and proper diagnoses are made because we listen; but one must have an education and some experience with diagnosing and treating illness to go along with those listening skills. I happen to know this particular NP has excellent diagnostic skills, which is what a patient needs to be assured of when seeking out a healthcare professional. Why do you think patients seek out the most qualified person for the job when looking for a healthcare provider? I can listen to her all day, but if I don't know how to diagnose or fix the problem, I'm not of much use to the patient.

The second issue I have with this article is the fact that a medical doctor was interviewed for the article and will have very little to do with the operations of this clinic. You see, in Tennessee, nurse practitioners are required to have a doctor come in and sign off on 20 percent of our charts (100 percent of any charts where a narcotic is written). This does not mean we are working "under the doctor," as so many imply. We are working under our own license and our own DEA prescribing number. They are simply paid to review some charts and put a signature on them. You see how ludicrous this is. Don't get me wrong, the doctor they interviewed is a wonderful guy, and a great doctor. I simply find it so sad that we feel we must give patients the illusion that a "real doctor" is somehow involved in operations of the clinic.

For those of you who don't know, NPs have at least at Master's Degree, which is 6 years minimum. For many of us, it also includes several years as an RN before completing those years of school for the NP degree, which was a priceless part of my educational process. I want to spread the word that we are here to stay, we don't need to hide behind a doctor's name, we have one of our own. Patients have a choice to see us or not, we are not pulling the wool over their eyes and trying to be deceitful just to get patients.
Most NPs, like most MDs do a good job. I urge you to see the difference for yourself. You may not notice any. You may have a bad experience. You may find the provider you want to stick with as long as you live. I just ask that you know who you are seeing and that you give the credit to that person alone for the care they provide.

Kim is a Nurse Practitioner and writes her own blog at KIMblogery. (This post originally appeared on KIMblogery on 12/15/2009 and was reposted with permission).

Submit a guest post: anpview at gmail dot com.

Comments

Finally this is my first time I pop in here. I discovered a lot of remarkable substance on your webpage specially its conversation. Keep up the good work! I invite you to see my post, I hope you will find interesting too.

Popular posts from this blog

Private Practice

There is an interesting trend that I'm observing and don't necessarily see how this is going to turn out. I'm seeing more and more nurse practitioner's opening their own autonomous practices. Many of these offices set out to offer care that is personalized, covered under insurance, and of course high-quality. I'm also seeing more NP specialty/sub-specialty practices such as house calls, incontinence, and women's health. This is in a time when more physician practices are joining together in these conglomerations that aren't necessarily tied to hospitals. You'd be hard pressed to find a solo primary care physician these days yet nurse practitioner solo practices are popping up. The talk about the formation of accountable care organizations can be attributed to health care reform and the spurring of large multi-physician practices. What to make of this? I honestly don't know. Many people and patients have said to me "you should start your own prac

NP Residency

The healthcare system of today is so complex yet so dysfunctional that I believe the time has come to educate and train the NP providers of tomorrow in a way that is reflective of that complexity. We have done a good job up to this point but need to bring that to the next level. Residency. I'm not necessarily referring to the typical residency training of physicians which takes place in hospitals but a residency-type of program in an out-patient setting (ironic that we use the term residency). We realize that healthcare is not exclusively delivered in hospitals. It takes place in independent providers offices, in community health centers, in mobile health vans, and in retail settings. It takes place in people's homes and places of employment. It takes place in many of the health decisions that we make on a daily basis. I found this NP residency program in Connecticut that claims to be the first NP residency in the US. The programs admits 4 NPs each year and trains them to ha

Guest Post: The Pros and Cons of Legal Nurse Consulting

The Pros and Cons of Legal Nurse Consulting I’ve spent years pursuing different avenues in the health care industry. I spent my high school years studying to become a CAN, I was at one point a EMT, and I eventually turned to alternative practices like massage therapy, herbs and general fitness and nutrition. Not long ago, though, I heard a term that was relatively new to me – legal nurse consulting. My aunt told me about her pursuit of a legal nurse consulting certification. Her goal was to pass the certification exam and open her own business, partnering with lawyers around the country to help them understand medical charts and the medical profession as a whole. Sounds great, right? I’m wondering if it really is. I urge anyone who is considering legal nurse consulting to consider the pros and cons. While it is certainly an admiral and profitable career path, it may limit your future choices. First of all, legal nurse consulting is not a get-rich-quick solution to your problems. If you