Skip to main content

DNP Series: The Search


I recently wrote about my pursuit of the DNP and my rationale for it. As promised, here is the first brief installment of posts chronicling my final year of school (I actually have 10 months left now but who's counting!)

Part of the final project is writing a systematic review. Since one of the principles of our program is evidence-based practice (EBP), our final project must be framed in the form of a PICO question. That is, Population, Intervention, Comparison, and Outcome. My group and I are still tweaking our question but it is centered on adults with type II diabetes. (Plus, I do need to maintain some level of suspense throughout these posts!) In order to gather the evidence, a comprehensive, systematic, and exhaustive search of the literature must be performed using key words and MeSH terms to narrow down the number of hits we get on our search. This is a critical part of any systematic review since the evidence gleaned will lay the groundwork for the review.

We are searching health/medical databases including Medline, CINHAL, & Cochrane. I grossly underestimated the amount of time this would take as we refined our key words and MeSH terms a few times - it's been about 4 weeks or so that we've been working on it. This process has been much more involved than say going to Google and typing in some search words. We were fortunate to have a group member very adept at searching and have taken advantage of the university librarian for additional tips. We are now confident that we are on the right track and are capturing the abstracts to read to determine if the article is applicable for inclusion in our review.

This searching resulted in 400+ abstracts to review. We have each individually read the abstracts and are meeting to discuss the ones we disagree on to determine whether we retrieve the actual article or not. We also need to search the "gray literature" for additional articles that weren't published in peer-reviewed journals to see if any other evidence exists. We will then enter them into the Joanna Briggs Institute software for tracking and as a way to get started on the actual write up. Next, we will critically review the article to see if it makes the cut for inclusion into our systematic review. (Note: this is a lot of reading - so much for being off the summer!)

I am excited to see what the evidence suggests regarding our focused topic. While all this is going on, in the Fall, we hope to implement the intervention at the clinical agency we are partnered with and are calling that "a small test of change" (STOC). Lots of work ahead but there is definitely a small light at the end of the tunnel (did I mention that I will be done in 10 months?)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good luck with the next few months. I am glad you are nearly done!

Popular posts from this blog

Private Practice

There is an interesting trend that I'm observing and don't necessarily see how this is going to turn out. I'm seeing more and more nurse practitioner's opening their own autonomous practices. Many of these offices set out to offer care that is personalized, covered under insurance, and of course high-quality. I'm also seeing more NP specialty/sub-specialty practices such as house calls, incontinence, and women's health. This is in a time when more physician practices are joining together in these conglomerations that aren't necessarily tied to hospitals. You'd be hard pressed to find a solo primary care physician these days yet nurse practitioner solo practices are popping up. The talk about the formation of accountable care organizations can be attributed to health care reform and the spurring of large multi-physician practices. What to make of this? I honestly don't know. Many people and patients have said to me "you should start your own prac

Guest Post: The Pros and Cons of Legal Nurse Consulting

The Pros and Cons of Legal Nurse Consulting I’ve spent years pursuing different avenues in the health care industry. I spent my high school years studying to become a CAN, I was at one point a EMT, and I eventually turned to alternative practices like massage therapy, herbs and general fitness and nutrition. Not long ago, though, I heard a term that was relatively new to me – legal nurse consulting. My aunt told me about her pursuit of a legal nurse consulting certification. Her goal was to pass the certification exam and open her own business, partnering with lawyers around the country to help them understand medical charts and the medical profession as a whole. Sounds great, right? I’m wondering if it really is. I urge anyone who is considering legal nurse consulting to consider the pros and cons. While it is certainly an admiral and profitable career path, it may limit your future choices. First of all, legal nurse consulting is not a get-rich-quick solution to your problems. If you

NP Residency

The healthcare system of today is so complex yet so dysfunctional that I believe the time has come to educate and train the NP providers of tomorrow in a way that is reflective of that complexity. We have done a good job up to this point but need to bring that to the next level. Residency. I'm not necessarily referring to the typical residency training of physicians which takes place in hospitals but a residency-type of program in an out-patient setting (ironic that we use the term residency). We realize that healthcare is not exclusively delivered in hospitals. It takes place in independent providers offices, in community health centers, in mobile health vans, and in retail settings. It takes place in people's homes and places of employment. It takes place in many of the health decisions that we make on a daily basis. I found this NP residency program in Connecticut that claims to be the first NP residency in the US. The programs admits 4 NPs each year and trains them to ha